About the UCLA University Archives
The UCLA University Archives, established in 1949 by Provost Clarence A. Dykstra, is the official repository for non-current UCLA records having permanent historical, fiscal, legal, or administrative value. It identifies and collects the official university records in all formats that document the history of administrative offices and departments, academic departments and programs, related organizations, and campus groups.
Records in the University Archives date from the late nineteenth century, as they include materials from the Los Angeles State Normal School, established in 1881. In 1919, the Southern Branch of the University of California opened, becoming the second campus of the University of California. The name was changed in 1927 to the University of California at Los Angeles, and a comma replaced the word "at" in 1953. The campus has been located in the Westwood area since September 1929, having moved from its previous site on Vermont Avenue near downtown Los Angeles.
This website currently features the photographic prints from the University Archives Photographic Reference collection:https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8vt1sxj/. University Archives has thousands of additional photographs in a number of collections, including the University Archives Biographical Reference collection:https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt9c6023ds/which includes photographs of individuals associated with UCLA.